Tiernan Field House Building Policies
To Enter the Field House
- Present your current valid Scripps, HMC, or CMC ID at the guest services desk. An ID not belonging to the bearer or of a suspicious nature may be confiscated immediately.
- Members forgetting their ID more than twice and wishing to enter the facility, must purchase a guest pass for $5.00. The patron must have a picture ID and their membership must be verified.
- Students, faculty and staff who have lost their ID or who have an ID that is unreadable or with unclear photo must pay to have the ID replaced by the Campus Card Office.
- Members who have lost their membership ID or who have an ID that is unreadable or with unclear photo must purchase a replacement card at the TFH Office. Cost – $10.00.
- The TFH staff reserves the right to ask for additional identification at any time. Individuals unable to verify their identity to the satisfaction of TFH staff will be denied entry.
- Guests are required to be accompanied by the sponsoring member for the duration of their visit and present picture ID, as well as the valid guest pass, for entry.
- Any TFH user who has need of special accommodation may check in at the main office.
- TFH staff will happily escort guests through the locker room as needed.
- TFH staff are not trained in assisting with transfers or in assisting with dressing or personal hygiene and, therefore are not permitted to assist.
- Individuals who require the assistance of a personal attendant must register the attendant in advance of entry.
- Service animals are welcome in the facility.
- The building, programs, and services are intended to be accessible. Any guest who needs additional accommodation may check in at the front desk.
- The TFH staff provides a lock to protect valuables. Personal locks may not be used.
- Clothing and bags must be secured in lockers.
- Locks may be checked out with a photo ID at the entry desk.
- Lockers are day use only and belongings may not be left overnight. Locks and contents not removed at the close of each day will be confiscated. Belongings may be picked up at the entry area.
- Glass containers are prohibited in the locker rooms, shower facilities, the pool area to prevent injuries from broken glass.
Attire and Footwear
- Appropriate footwear must be worn when using activity areas. Open toe shoes are strictly prohibited in the cardio and weight rooms.
- Any athletic shoe which marks or mars the floor is not permitted. Shoes with spikes or bike cleats are not permitted in the building and must be removed before entering.
- Participants must wear appropriate exercise attire: T-shirts, shorts, warm-up suits, sweat suits, tennis clothing, or aerobics attire. Street clothing should not be worn as it can be dangerous and confining when exercising.
- A T-shirt that covers the full torso is required for participants to use exercise machines and free weight rooms with back supports or mat work. A full shirt reduces skin contact with the benches, absorbs sweat and reduces the spread of skin infections.
- Clean swim attire must be worn in the pool for health purposes and to reduce stress on the filtration system. A clean T-shirt may be worn over swim attire. Cutoff shorts, underwear, and unapproved footwear are prohibited.
- If patrons are unfamiliar with equipment, please ask the staff for instructions. Equipment orientations are offered on a regular basis for your convenience.
- Workout bags, purses and personal items are not to be stowed in walkways or egress exits.
- While using free weights or “selectorized-weight” machines, all movements should be performed under control through the end of the lift.
- Free weights are not to be dropped on the floor for your own safety and the safety of those around you.
- When working with free weights it is highly recommended that trained spotters are used.
- Please wipe down all equipment upon completion of work-outs.
- Weights and other equipment are to be re-racked when finished.
- Patrons are welcome to use personal listening devices with earphones, but devices that project sound are prohibited.
Members are encouraged to express their opinions and suggestions to the recreation staff. A suggestion box is located in the entry lobby. Contact the Director of TFH (909) 607-8810 or email@example.com.
Food, Beverage and Tobacco Use
- Tobacco use is prohibited for Scripps TFH facilities.
- Possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited at all facilities.
- Food and beverages, other than water, may not be brought into the activity areas.
- Approved areas for food/beverage consumption are the meeting rooms when reserved), special events and the 1st floor balcony.
Lost and Found
- Scripps College is not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- The TFH staff is not allowed to hold valuables for users.
- Clothing, bags and all personal items must be locked in lockers provided.
- Contact the Guest Services desk at 909-607-8810 to inquire about items forgotten or lost in the facility.
- Items not claimed within 5 days are donated to charity or discarded.
- If an injury or incident occurs, please contact a member of the TFH staff immediately.
- Call (909) 607-2000 to reach campus safety.
- First aid supplies are available at the TFH at the entry control, issue area, and pool office. All supplies are for first aid purposes ONLY.
- AED (Automatic External Defibrillator) device available for emergencies through TFH staff members; to be used only by TFH staff members or trained individuals.
- In the event of a fire or other emergency, alarms will sound throughout the facilities. See the Scripps College Emergency Procedures and the Scripps Emergency Preparedness website for additional information.
- TFH staff members or College personnel will provide users with evacuation instructions.
- Do not use the elevator in an emergency. Users needing help to exit the building should call aloud for help or use an emergency phone, campus phone or another patron to call for assistance.
- In the event of a earthquakes, tornado or extreme storm conditions, follow the directions of TFH staff. You will be asked to leave large open areas adjacent to glass windows and walls to seek shelter in designated areas of the building. Remain in designated areas until TFH staff informs you it is safe to leave.
- In the event of an approaching electrical storm or tornado alert, outdoor facility users should immediately seek cover indoors.
Scripps College is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and no differentiation will be made based on race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or the presence of a disability.
Alumnae Field Policies
Scripps College Alumnae Field is a private facility available for reservations for Scripps students, faculty, staff and alumna, and the Claremont Colleges. The Scripps college instructional, recreational, and athletic programs have priority use, but the field may be available for approved use.
The Alumnae Field playing area is available to members of the Scripps College community who display, upon request, a valid college ID card for drop-in recreational use when not scheduled by the Tiernan Field House.
Recreational use of the field is not allowed during scheduled instructional and recreational programs, and varsity practices or contest when dangerous activity is taking place on the field.
Activities that may cause damage to the field are prohibited (e.g. golfing, biking, using motorized vehicles, etc.)
In an effort to properly maintain Alumnae Field, please adhere to the following rules:
- Food and Drink are not permitted on the field
- Tobacco products (e.g. cigarettes, chewing tobacco, etc.) of any kind are not permitted on the field.
- Alcohol and drug use are prohibited on the premises.
- Motorized vehicles, bike, unicycles, skateboards, etc. are not permitted on the field.
- Metal or plastic cleats longer than ¾ inch re not permitted on the field
- Stakes for tents, ropes, etc. Are not permitted on the field due to the irrigation system.
- Children must be closely supervised by their parents or guardian.
Please report maintenance problems to the Tiernan Field House (909) 607-8804
Please report security problems to Campus Safety (909) 607-2000
Inclement Weather Use
It may be necessary to cancel scheduled as well as informal recreational use of the field due to inclement weather, poor field conditions, or on-going maintenance efforts. If the fields are so wet that ruts are created or turf is displaced by use, then the fields are closed to activities. The fields may also be closed for extended periods of time so that renovations can occur. Please respect posted signage that designates that the fields are closed.
Organized group use of any facilities must be formally scheduled. Contact the Tiernan Field House Director located in the facility. Call 909-607-8810 to inquire.
Alcohol and Drug Use
Neither alcohol or drugs are permitted on the premises.
Please assist us in providing a s safe and well-maintained facility for all programs and for the Scripps community.
Always available for recreation and lap swimming during posted hours.
- No one may enter the pool without a Tiernan Field House lifeguard certified employee present.
- Patrons must be prepared to present a proper identification at the entrance to the Tiernan Field House.
- Guests must be a daily pass holder or a member of a rental group with scheduled pool time.
- Lap swimmers may be required to circle swim when lane use exceeds two patrons.
- The use of radios, tape or CD players is restricted to private listening (headphones).
- The use of floatation devices other than those provided by TFH is prohibited, exceptions include lap swim equipment.
- Food, beverages, gum or tobacco products are prohibited.
- The pool area may be closed or have restricted use due to competitive events, special events or rentals.
- Personal items are to be stored safely in the locker room. Do not place personal items/bags on the pool deck.
- Lifeguards have the responsibility to enforce regulations and have the authority to remove anyone for unsafe or inappropriate behavior.
- Children of the age 9 and below are not permitted. Children aged 10 and above are allowed with parental supervision.
- Admission to the pool will be refused to anyone appearing to have a contagious or infectious condition, such as a cold, athlete’s foot, ring worm, boils and other skin infections.
- A swimsuit is required.
- A clean white t-shirt and/or clean aqua socks may be worn into the pool.
- Practice good hygiene. Take a shower before swimming and wash your hands after using the toilet.
- No band-aids or casts may be worn into the pool.
- Spitting, blowing the nose or urinating in the pools is forbidden.
- Do not swim when you have diarrhea. You can spread germs in the water and make other people sick.
- Do not swallow pool water. In fact, avoid getting water in your mouth.
- A long whistle blast may signal an emergency. Exit the pool immediately and look to the lifeguard for further instruction.
- Do not converse with or distract the lifeguards while they are actively engaged in their duties.
- Patrons under the influence of alcohol or other drugs that alter awareness are restricted from the pool.
- Use of the starting platforms is restricted to competent divers in the supervision of certified competitive diving coaches.
- You may be asked by a lifeguard to show an ability to swim before using a pool or pool equipment.
- Glass is prohibited in the pool. Eyeglasses worn into the water should be worn with a safety strap.
- Headfirst entries are restricted to areas with a minimum water depth of 7 feet.
- Do not hang on the life or lane lines.
- Diving or jumping deemed unsafe, in the judgment of the lifeguard, will be prohibited.
- Horseplay is not tolerated. Running, pushing, dunking, water fighting, chicken fights, etc. are dangerous and are prohibited.
- Hyperventilation or the holding of one’s breath underwater for an extended period of time can be extremely dangerous and therefore is prohibited.
- Use of water toys is restricted to those furnished by Scripps College.
- Use of mask, snorkel and fins is restricted to commercial quality equipment. The mask must be well fitted and have tempered safety glass.
- All training and fitness equipment is to be used in the manner for which it was designed.
Summer Aquatics – Policies for Youth and Age Restrictions
- Children/Dependents must 6 months or older for pool and must be accompanied by parent during the visit.
- Children age 5 or under must have a parent or guardian (at least 18 years of age) with them in the water at all times.
- Lifeguards have the authority to require a parent or guardian to be in the water with a child over 5 years old who they may judge to be a weak swimmer.
- The ratio of children in the pool to a parent/guardian is 3:1.
- If one or more children are non-swimmers, the child-to-parent/guardian ratio is 2:1 and children must be directly supervised by parents and within arm’s reach.
- All life jackets must be US Coast Guard approved. Inflatable toys and swim aids, such as water wings, swim rings, and floatation devices, are not designed to be used as substitutes to life jackets or adult supervision.
CDC and California State Health Code Requirements:
- All infant/toddlers/children who are not toilet trained are required to wear swim diapers or plastic pants with elastic around the waist and each leg when using the pool.
- Patrons must bring their own swim diapers.
- Diaper changing is not permitted on deck & only allowed in dressing room area.
- Diapers (cloth and disposable) are prohibited in the pool.
- When a fecal accident occurs, we are required to close the pool a minimum of twenty-four (24) hour.
We have a variety of fitness and wellness resources for you to check-out. In order to do so, please visit our front desk to speak with an employee. Once you have identified the item you wish to rent, you will need to leave your I.D. card safely in our files. Your I.D. will be returned when the item you rented is returned. Upon return if the item is damaged you may be subject to charges.
- BalanceBall—Beginners Workout
- BalanceBall For Weight Loss
- BELLY Dance! Magical Motion
- Billy Banks’ Tae Bo Power Rounds
- Billy Banks’ Tae Bo Cardio Circuit 1
- Body Target Yoga (Abs, Upper Body, Lower Body)
- Gliding: Total Body Basics
- Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30
- Jillian Michaels Killer Buns & Thighs
- Pilates: Abs Workout
- Pilates (Lower Body)
- Spinning: Cardio Spin
- Spinning: Pedal Power
- Spinning: Spin & Slim
- Spinning: Crank It Up
- Zumba Fitness Exhilarate
- Zumba Fitness Live & Flat Abs
- Zumba Fitness Total-Body Transformation System
- Beth Shaw’s Power Yogafit
- Beth Shaw’s Basics
- Beth Shaw’s YogaButt
- Beth Shaw’s YogaAbs
- Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss
Other Items for Checkout
- Boxing Gloves
- Fruit Picker
- Soccer balls
- Volleyballs (Volleyball Standard)
- Playground Balls
- Hula hoops