SIT Peace and Conflict Studies in the Balkans (Serbia, Bosnia & Kosovo)
Students take a Serbian language class, two seminar classes on the program theme, a research methods course and pursue an independent study project on a topic of their own choosing appropriate to the region and program
- Reviewed by: Professor Andrew Aisenberg
- Fields of study: Politics and international relations, peace and conflict studies, European studies, journalism
- Eligibility: GPA of 7.5 required by Scripps, students may petition with a 8.25 and above
- Number of program participants: 15-25
Students live with host families in Belgrade for 7-11 weeks and take most meals with the host family or with the SIT student group. The remainder of the time students are accommodated in hostels or small hotels on group trips.
- Fall: Late August to mid December
- Spring: Early February to late May
- Advising Tips: This program requires a faculty reference. Faculty referees may use the Scripps form or the student can provide a link to the online reference form.
- Visa Information: All students must have a passport valid for at least six months after the program’s end date to study in another country. Students should apply for a passport as early as possible; in some cases, passport applications may need to be expedited. Students may need one or more visas, in addition to a valid passport. Visa application processes vary widely, and some visa processes are multi-step and complicated. SIT Study Abroad helps students to understand the visa process for each program. The SIT admissions counselor can answer passport and visa-related questions and concerns. Non-US citizens should consult with SIT early to determine the visa requirements based on their country of origin. SIT Study Abroad cannot guarantee visas for its participants, and it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to secure the appropriate visa in a timely manner.
- Budget Planning: For budget planning purposes, click here to view the current cost of living comparison between Belgrade and Los Angeles.