American University in Beirut
An Arabic language class is required. Students select from regular university courses with instruction in English in either lecture or seminar format..
- Reviewed by: Faculty: Lara Deeb
- Fields of study: A full curriuculim in the social sciences, the humanities and the sciences.
- Eligibility: 9.0 CPA; previous Arabic language study
- Size of the student body: 6500 undergraduates
- Number of program participants: 1500-2000 international students attend the university, including several hundred US students
On campus housing is limited but international students are given priority before junior and senior students. There is a wide variety of low-cost, student-friendly and reputable hotels in the Hamra neighborhood around AUB, and rooms can be booked over the internet in advance for 10-14 days while students investigate these options. Off-campus housing is plentiful in the neighborhood surrounding the University (Hamra). Most students who arrive during orientation week are able to find suitable housing and an international room-mate (or two) to share it with by the end of their first week in town. Students receive a stipend from Scripps to pay for their meals
- Fall: Late August to late December
- Spring: Late January to late May
- Advising Tips: This program requires a faculty reference. Check with SAGE about other program requirements or exceptions.
- Visa Information: After acceptance, your program will provide you with specifics about the visa required. The embassy site will have information on visa requirements for planning purposes.
- Budget Planning: For budget planning purposes, click here to view the current cost of living comparison between Los Angeles and Beirut.