International Students

Address Changes

The Office of the Registrar is required to update SEVIS within 10 days of all address changes. You must notify our office immediately if any of the following occurs:

  • Changes to your room or residence hall, local off-campus address, and/or permanent address abroad. You must report any changes during the summer as well as during the academic year for the duration of your enrollment as a student at Scripps College.
  • Report your summer address and any changes to your summer address, if you remain in The United States for all or part of the summer. Your physical address (not box numbers) must be reported – where you can be found at all times while you are in the United States.
  • Failure to report address changes within 10 days can result in a $200 fine and 30 days in jail.

Medical Insurance

  • By law to maintain status, all F-1 visa students must have medical insurance while attending an academic institution in the United States.
  • You must enroll for medical insurance each year while attending Scripps College.
  • Information about coverage, deadline dates, and obtaining an enrollment form can be found at this link.

Within the first 15 days of each fall semester, you must bring your medical card to the Registrar’s Office so we can make a copy for our files. Failure to bring in proof of medical insurance will result in a hold being placed on your registration privileges.

Travel Information

  1. Do I need I-20 Authorization Signature to Travel?
    Yes, you must bring your current I-20 to the Office of the Registrar for a new authorization signature if you plan to leave the States during the winter semester break or over the summer. You should bring it into the office at least five working days before you plan to leave. If you lose your I-20, please notify the office immediately that you will need a duplicate.
  2. What documents should I hand carry with me whenever I travel?
    1. Your passport;
    2. Your SEVIS form I-20;
    3. Your I-901 fee receipt;
    4. Your I-94 – Departure Card: You must surrender your I-94 at the airport whenever you leave the United States. You get a new I-94 when you return.
    5. Evidence of financial resources;
    6. Evidence of student or exchange visitor status, such as tuition receipts, transcripts or letter of acceptance;
    7. Paper receipt for the SEVIS fee; and
    8. The name and contact information of your designated school official.
  3. What are the basic requirements to reenter the United States after traveling abroad?
    1. A current SEVIS Form I-20 endorsed for travel by your DSO;
    2. You have been out of the U.S. for less than five months;
    3. A current passport valid for at least six months after the date of your reentry;
    4. A valid, current visa; and
    5. Financial information showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses.
  4. What do I do if I have an expired passport or one that will expire in less than six months?
    1. You must renew your passport before reentering the U.S. In most cases, to enter the U.S., you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter or reenter.
    2. Some countries (Indonesia is not one of them) have an agreement with the U.S. that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration.
    3. It is important that you keep your passport current at all times. You will not be able to reenter the U.S. without a valid passport.
  5. What if my F-1 student visa expired?
    1. You can stay in the U.S. on an expired F-1 visa as long as you maintain your student status. However, if you are returning home or traveling, you must have a valid visa to return to the U.S.
    2. Make an appointment with the DSO to obtain documentation of your intention to return to the U.S.
    3. The Department of State recommends that you apply for a visa in your home country.