The Sallie Tiernan Field House was primarily built for student use, but also serves as host to many members of the Claremont College Consortium and Scripps College community. Scripps College students, faculty, and staff have year-round access to the Tiernan Field House. Membership privileges are also extended to various members of the consortium as defined below.
Please note that for membership purposes the academic year spans from the first day the residence hall opens to returning students and concludes when the residence halls close in May. Academic year and summer memberships are available to certain constituents.
Annual Membership includes the academic year plus summer.
All Scripps, Harvey Mudd (HMC), and Claremont McKenna (CMC) students may use the field house facilities, pool, and field during the academic year and summer. Students are asked to bring a valid 5C identification card for admittance.
Faculty and Staff Members
All faculty and staff of Scripps College and the W.M. Keck Science Department (JSD), HMC, CMC, and Claremont University Consortium (CUC) employees may use the field house facilities, pool and Scripps field during the academic year. Scripps College faculty and staff are automatically granted summer access. HMC, CMC and CUC are eligible to purchase summer memberships. All must bring a valid 5C identification card for admittance.
Semester/Academic Year Memberships
The fall and spring semester start dates are dictated by the Scripps College. For membership purposes, the semester begins on first day residence halls open to returning students and concludes when residence halls close.
The Annual Membership is based on the academic calendar year and includes summer privileges.
All Scripps, W.M. Keck Science Department, HMC, and CMC household members may use the field house facilities, pool, and Scripps filed during the academic year (subject to other rules). Household members must be 16 years of age or older to use the field house facilities and ten years of age or older to use the pool during the academic year. If the household member is between 10 and 17 years old, he/she must be accompanied by a responsible adult 18 years or older at all times during the visit.
Daily Use Pass
CUC employees, Claremont Graduate University (CGU), Keck Graduate Institute (KGI), Pomona, and Pitzer students, faculty, staff, and their household members may purchase a daily use pass after presenting a valid identification card.
One Day Guest Pass
See Guest Policies in table below.
Scripps College alumnae living in the Claremont area are eligible to purchase a membership and are asked to present a picture identification and alumnae verification from the Alumnae Office at the time of enrollment.
Alumnae visiting the college may secure a free guest pass from the Alumnae Relations Office for use during the time they are on campus. Alumnae are also eligible to purchase a one day pass for their guest.
Scripps College Prospective Student Guest Pass
Prospective students are welcome to use the field house facilities as a guest of their student host. In the event a prospective student host’s is not available, a guest pass may be obtained from the Office of Admission and should be presented upon entering the field house.
Online Membership Application
Complete the Tiernan Field House Membership Application and bring to the Tiernan Field House with valid 5 C or picture identification. Prospective members that do not have a 5C identification will receive a TFH identification ($10.00/card) to be use each visit.
Tiernan Field House Membership, Daily Use, and Guest Prices
The membership and guest rates and policies govern the use of the Tiernan Field House. These policies were created by the Tiernan Field House Committee, consisting of students, faculty, and staff. Priority use of the facility is for currently enrolled students and employees of Scripps College.
Scripps College Membership and Guest Rates
Includes W.M. Keck Science Department and Denison Library:
|Student||Free||(2) Free guest/visit3rd guest $5.00/visit|
|Faculty, Staff, Visiting Lecturers||Free||(1) Free guest/visit|
|Household Membership||Free||Guest $5.00/visit|
|Building (16 yrs or older)|
|Pool (10 yrs or older)|
|Area Alumnae||(1) Guest – $5.00/visit|
|GOLD3 Year (2000-2010)||$200.00*|
|Household Membership||$5.00/visit||(1) guest $5.00/visit|
|Building (16 yrs or older)|
|Pool (10 yrs or older)|
Harvey Mudd, Claremont McKenna Membership and Guest Rates
|Student, Faculty, Staff
||Free||(1) Guest – $10.00/visit|
|Household Membership||(1) Guest – $10.00/visit|
|Building (16 yrs or older)||Free*|
|Pool (10 yrs or older)||Free*|
Claremont University Consortium User Fees
|Membership Year||Guest Eligible|
|Employee||Free||(1) Guest – $10.00/visit|
KGI, CGU User Fees
|Student, Faculty, Staff||$10.00/visit||No Guest|
Pomona, Pitzer User Fees
The Claremont Colleges (TCC)4 Summer Membership
Membership permits users to the use of Tiernan Field House and Scripps pool. Memberships are not transferable, refundable, or pro-rated. The College reserves the right to exclude, either temporarily or permanently, any user who fails to comport her/himself in an appropriate manner and/or comply with the request of the staff or a college official. The College reserves the right to adjust or change policies, procedures, and/or fees at any time.
Member Sponsored Guests Passes
Scripps faculty and staff, and emeriti; W.M. Keck Science Department and Denison Library, members may sponsor (1) free guest/visit. Additional guests will be $5.00/visit.
Harvey Mudd and Claremont McKenna students, faculty and staff, and emeriti; and Claremont University Consortium employees may purchase one (1) guest pass $10.00/visit.
A Guest Pass provides access to the Tiernan Field House and pool facilities:
- The member must accompany their guest at time of guest pass purchase.
- Guests must sign the guest waiver to enter.
- Guests must enter and exit the facilities with their sponsor.
- Guests must follow established facility policies and guidelines.
- In sponsoring a guest, the member assumes responsibility for the actions of their guest. The Tiernan Field House staff reserves the right to refuse admittance or sale of passes and to revoke guest pass privileges when necessary.
- No refunds.
- Passes may not be solicited.
Membership and one day guest passes may be purchased at any the Tiernan Field House. The Tiernan Field House accepts cash, check, and Claremont cash.
Member Rights and Responsibility
We are committed to offering a welcoming environment for the Scripps community and operating within an environment of mutual respect.
As a valued member of the community you have the right to:
- Quality indoor and outdoor facilities that are clean, safe, and well maintained, which meet the diverse recreational fitness needs and interests.
- A learning environment.
- Freedom from the threat of intimidation and/or emotional harm.
- Expect that all rights will be respected.
- Expect that our policies, procedures, and standards of conduct will be enforced.
- Expect comprehensive information regarding facilities, programs and services.
- A timely response to expressed concerns.
- Individuals with disabilities have a right to reasonable accommodation that ensures equal opportunity to participate in, and benefit from, our facilities.
As a valued member of the Scripps community you have the responsibility to:
- Abide by all laws, policies and regulations established by the Tiernan Field House
- Cooperate with all TFH staff members.
- Respect all reasonable requests of members.
- Treat members and TFH staff with respect.
- Take responsibility for personal and community safety and security.
- Recognize that everyone uses the Tiernan Field House facilities and their furnishings. Abuse of those areas violates the rights of all members.
- Be an active member and communicate your needs to the TFH staff.
- Individuals with disabilities who choose to participate in our programs and activities have a responsibility to identify themselves as needing accommodation in a timely fashion.
* TFH Member Card ($10.00) if member does not have 5C card
- Must show proof of permanent residence.
- Age Requirements (Building – 16yrs old and pool 10yrs old, during academic year) must be accompanied by responsible adult (18 years/older) during the visit
- GOLD=graduates of last decade (2002-2012)
- The Claremont Colleges rate applies to all students, faculty, staff of CMC, HMC, Pitzer, Pomona, CGU, KGI, and CUC. This rate does not apply to Claremont or other area residents
- Family – up to five related people at the same address