Celebrating Our Students
After a successful pilot run in 2009, the Faculty Executive Committee voted unanimously to adopt a new Scripps tradition christened “Capstone Day.” On this special day the entire Scripps community comes together in celebration of the senior class’ accomplishments. Its centerpiece, the Mary Wig Johnson Senior Forum, which showcases the best of the class of 2019’s capstone work, is intended to foster collaboration among students and faculty across the disciplines and to enhance the intellectual life of the College. Attentive to the diversity of student interest and accomplishment, the Forum will include a variety of formats for the presentation of student theses and capstone work: formal talks, poster sessions, and exhibitions, as well as performances. Capstone Day activities are open to students, faculty, staff, family, alumnae, and friends of Scripps College.
We encourage everyone to experience the diversity and richness of Scripps student capstone success, and wish to express our thanks to all faculty for their efforts in preparing for Capstone Day. Last but not least, heartfelt congratulations to all students who are selected for participation in this special event! For more extensive details, please see below.
Associate Dean of Faculty
What is the Scripps College Capstone Day?
- A special day to celebrate the senior class’ accomplishments and showcase them before the entire Scripps community
- To be celebrated on the Thursday following the last day of classes. (May 9,2019)
- Faculty and students are strongly encouraged to attend Capstone Day events.
Important Due Dates
- Deadline for nominations- Friday, April 20th 5pm
- Last day for abstracts- Thursday, April 26th 12pm
- Presenations due- Monday, April 30th, 5pm
Capstone Day Features
- Mary Wig Johnson Senior Forum: all first-rate theses may be selected by Departments and Programs for presentation. Departments propose presentation sessions or poster sessions. (9:45am-4:00pm).
- Senior performances/recitals (Music Session).
- Senior Art Show (30-minute session with the artists present- Studio Art Session).
- Senior athletes’ accomplishments exhibition in the Humanities courtyard (posters).
- Lunch in the Malott Commons featuring: taco bar, chocolate bread pudding, and strawberries with whipped cream.
- A tea celebrating the class of 2019 will be held in Margaret Fowler Garden (3:45pm).
- Seniors vs. faculty/staff soccer match, Tiernan Field. (5:00pm).
- Scripps trustees, alumnae, staff and friends are welcome to attend any events.