Apply To Be A Tutor
The Scripps Tutoring Program is always looking for qualified and dedicated tutors. The program accepts applications on a rolling basis throughout the semester. Students from all campuses in the consortium are eligible to apply. Students must complete at least one full semester at the Claremont Colleges before applying. Work-study and non work-study students are encouraged to apply. Tutors are expected to commit to the goals and expectations of the program.
- Complete the Tutor Application Form.
- All applications must be accompanied by a Faculty Reference Form. A reference form should be submitted for each department in which the student is applying to tutor. For example, if a student is applying to tutor in Chemistry and English, the student must have a reference from a faculty member in Chemistry and a separate reference form from a faculty in English. The only exception is for applicants who have been nominated by a faculty member.
- Applicants from other campuses should also submit verification of good standing for the current semester with the application (ex. Unofficial transcript).
Completed applications will be reviewed. Applicants selected will be invited to participate in a brief interview.
- Completion of at least one semester at the Claremont Colleges
- Must be a full time student in good academic standing
- Must have cumulative GPA of 8.0 or higher (2.67 on a 4.0 scale)
- Students on academic probation are not eligible to apply
- Demonstrated proficiency in subject/classes to tutor
- Applicants should have strong grades in the courses they want to tutor
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
Responsibilities of the Tutor
- Provide tutoring for approved subject(s) to tutee(s)
- Respond to all Tutoring Program correspondence within 24 hours
- Attend every scheduled tutorial session
- Attend mandatory New Tutor Training and subject-specific training
- Participate in additional supplemental training options
The time commitment for each tutor will vary. The average commitment is three to five hours each week. Most tutors have about 2-4 students assigned to them.
Tutors will receive $10.50 per hour. Tutors are not permitted to charge or accept any additional compensation for their tutorials.
Tutors have an excellent opportunity to gain teaching and leadership skills through this work experience while enhancing their professional profile.