This course is designed to give students the knowledge and understanding necessary to prepare for the ACE Personal Trainer Certification Exam and become effective personal trainers. This course presents the ACE integrated Fitness Training™ (ACE IFT™) Model as a comprehensive system for designing individualized programs based on each client’s unique health, fitness, and goals. The information covered by this course and the ACE IFT Model will help students learn how to facilitate rapport, adherence, self-efficacy and behavior change in clients, as well as design programs that help clients to improve posture, movement, flexibility, balance, core function, cardiorespiratory fitness, and muscular endurance and strength.
About the Semester-Long Course
- Days/times: M/W, 2:45-4:55pm, F (lab) 10-11am
- Location: Tiernan Field House
- Fee: $249 (exam); $104 (manual set); $65 (materials)
- Register: PE Portal
FMI: contact Deb Gisvold (909) 607-8810
- Human anatomy, exercise physiology, applied kinesiology, and nutrition
- Principles of adherence, motivation, behavior change, and health psychology
- Communication and teaching techniques
- The ACE Integrated Fitness Training model
- Building rapport
- Health and exercise history information assessment
- Functional training: assessments, programming, and progressions for posture, movement, core, balance, and flexibility
- Physiological assessments
- Resistance training: programming and progressions
- Cardiorespiratory Training: programming and progressions
- Professional and legal responsibilities, scope of practice, and business strategies for Personal Trainer
- Special exercise programming topics: mind-body exercise, special populations, and exercise implications of common musculoskeletal injuries
Students are required to take the pre-test, post-test, all quizzes, and attend 70% (or better) of the classes/lectures. Attending the Friday labs is optional but recommended. The course is offered as pass/fail.
- Required Texts/Readings
- Student Manuals – $104.00
- American Council on Exercise (2010). ACE Personal Trainer Manual, 5th ed. Bryant, CX & Green, DJ (Eds). San Diego, CA: American Council on Exercise.
- American Council on Exercise (2010). ACE’s Essentials of Exercise Science for Fitness Professionals. Bryant, CX & Green, DJ (Eds). San Diego, CA: American Council on Exercise.
Ordering Text Materials
For special student pricing and packages, go to: www.acefitness.org/students