Lifeguard Certification Class
The Field House offers a Lifeguard Course as an approved by American Red Cross and as Physical Education course. Claremont Consortium students can register through the academic portal.
The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional level of care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
- Explain patron surveillance techniques for facilities with special attractions.
- Explain and demonstrate lifeguard rotations.
- Demonstrate how to perform effective surveillance including scanning, victim recognition and lifeguard rotations.
- Explain patron surveillance techniques for organized groups.
- Explain the purpose and general procedures of an emergency action plan (EAP).
- Demonstrate how to safely and effectively assist a distressed swimmer, rescue an active and passive victim and rescue multiple victims.
- Demonstrate how to safely and effectively rescue a submerged victim in shallow or deep water.
- Demonstrate how to safely and effectively perform a two-person removal of a victim from the water using a backboard.
Lifeguard Candidates must be able to swim 300 yards (12 lengths of a 25-yard pool) without stopping, using the front crawl; retrieve a 10 lb weight from 7 feet, then swim 20 yards with the weight using legs only; and tread water for 2 minutes without the use of your arms.
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Pass both the Section CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid and
- Section Lifeguarding Skills final written exams with minimum grades of 80 percent.
American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED: 2 years
FMI: contact Deb Gisvold (909) 607-8810