The following are the room descriptions for our most frequently reserved spaces. Upon acceptance of your reservation the director will work with your group to set up the space to meet your needs. If you have any questions, please contact Deborah Gisvold (909) 607-8804.
Who can reserve the TFH (college related events)?
- Scripps students, faculty and staff
- Scripps Academic and Administrative offices
- CMS Physical Education and Athletic offices
- A registered 5C organizations, with 50% of the rental group must be Scripps students
- Special Events, groups may hold special events on when the facility is available or Friday, Saturday, Sunday evenings.
The Tiernan Field House does not rent or take reservations from community groups or organizations. During the summer, these groups may request TFH through the Summer Conference Programming Office.
What can I reserve?
- Pool: pool parties, movies, swimming
- Field: soccer, lacrosse, frisbee, and other social activities
- Sand Volleyball Court
- Entry Balcony: lounge chairs, dining sets, patio furniture
- Second Floor Balcony: overlooks the pool
Indoor Facilities (All space occupancy ratings are based on the activity)
- Room 108: bamboo floor, mirrors, dance rails (2-7 dance/fitness class)
- Room 109: bamboo floor, wireless internet connections, projector, TV with combination DVD (25 lecture, 15 fitness class)
- Room 001: bamboo floor, mirrors, stereo, wireless headset (49)
How do I reserve space?
- View events through the Virtual EMS system to identify possible day and time of your reservation availability. (note: not all activities are viewable)
Note: Most facility spaces are typically occupied during the week (4pm-10pm) and some Saturday/Sundays with FitScripps, Healthy Lifestyle workshops, Physical Education classes, and Athletic/Intramural/Sport Club practices
- Complete the TFH Facility Request form
- Email or drop off form to the Director of the field house.
How far in advance should I submit my request?
Reservations should be made within (1) week of the event. For large events (50-200+ guest), we request a 2-3 week advance notice. Requests are typically processed 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday. Visit the Tiernan Field House web page for more information.
Once I have submitted a Facility Request form what should I expect?
- After you have submitted your TFH Facility Request form you will be contacted notifying you of receipt via email.
- Within 1-3 business days you will receive an e-mail regarding the status of your request.
- Upon approval, you will receive confirmation through email through EMS.
- You will be contacted at least 1 week prior to your event by the Director to help plan your event.
I want to reserve space for multiple days over the course of the semester; do I need to submit a request for each day?
You may reserve space for an individual event or submit a quarterly request. If you are looking for a space on the same day and time each week, a semester request would enable you to reserve that space. Please contact Deb Gisvold to inquire about the possibility of a quarterly reservation.
What if I want to just have friends come and dance or use videos, do I need to reserve the space?
Reservations ensure you have the space when you arrive. However, the facility maintains at least one open space for drop in use, Rm 108. Here is a general rule of thumb:
- If this is not a group, class, or instruction, there is no need for reservations.
- If this is a club, group, class, or organization, reservations are required.
If I wanted to teach classes to students, faculty, staff, do I need to have certifications or specific requirements?
All of the classes for FitScripps, Physical Education, and Healthy Lifestyle have certifications to teach or instruct classes. If students have certification and want to offer a program, please see Deb Gisvold to start the process of employment and program development.
Are there fees to reserve/rent the facilities?
The Tiernan Field House does not charge facility rental fees to students, student groups, organizations for reserving the facility. Groups may be responsible direct labor costs necessary for the proper operation and maintenance of the facility. These costs include, but are not limited to, facility operations staff, lifeguards, paramedics, security and traffic personnel. The amount of staff assigned to an event will be determined based on the size and nature of the event. Rental groups will also be charged for any special cleaning, maintenance, or repair resulting from the event or activity.
Can we have food at our events or use the kitchen?
Rental groups may bring their own food or beverages to any indoor or outdoor facility or activity space. Food items brought or catered must be coordinated through the Tiernan Field House. Eating and drinking are allowed only in specified areas. Alcoholic beverages and all forms of illegal substances are prohibited. All guests must abide by the College’s no smoking policy.
Can we put up signs and decorations for our event?
Signage or decorations are permitted with prior approval of the Tiernan Field House.
What if I want to reserve the facility after hours?
Any group that schedules an event outside of a facility’s regular operating hours may be required to pay the personnel costs incurred in keeping the facility open past its posted hours.
Are there general rules or policies I need to know?
Please refer to our web site for facility reservations for detailed information.
- All users, groups, and individuals utilizing, renting, reserving the facilities are required to observe all applicable policies, facility entry (proper ID), and guest policy of the Tiernan Field House and Scripps College, as well as all local, state, and federal laws.
- All user guidelines apply to facility entry (proper ID and guest policy) and to activity in a reserved area.
- The scheduling of events will be based on facility availability and approval by the Tiernan Field House. There may also be a review by the Tiernan Field House Committee.