The Scripps College list of approved SAGE – Study Abroad and Global Education programs may change in response to students' interests and feedback, faculty, and administrative evaluations as well as changing world events. Study abroad is not without risks and students are advised to carefully choose their study site.
The Scripps Committee on Study Abroad (COSA) has approved the following programs in Kenya for our students.
Instruction consists of lectures, seminars, fieldwork, and independent study; courses are taught primarily in English. Swahili language study required. Students earn four Scripps courses. On-site orientation and educational fieldtrips included.
- Reviewed by: Faculty: Thierry Boucquey
- Fields of study: Social sciences, public health, development
- Eligibility: 9.0 cumulative GPA, area studies or health course
- Size of the student body: Fellow students come from colleges and universities across the US.
- Number of program participants: 15-30
Students live in host family homes and hotels/hostels. Meals are taken as a group or with the host family.
- Fall: early September to mid-December
- Spring: late January to mid-May
- Visa Information: All students must have a passport valid for at least six months after the program’s end date to study in another country. Students should apply for a passport as early as possible; in some cases, passport applications may need to be expedited. Students may need one or more visas, in addition to a valid passport. Visa application processes vary widely, and some visa processes are multi-step and complicated. SIT Study Abroad helps students to understand the visa process for each program. The SIT admissions counselor can answer passport and visa-related questions and concerns. Non-US citizens should consult with SIT early to determine the visa requirements based on their country of origin. SIT Study Abroad cannot guarantee visas for its participants, and it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to secure the appropriate visa in a timely manner.
- Budget Planning: For budget planning purposes, click here to view the current cost of living comparison between Los Angeles and Nairobi.