The Scripps College list of approved SAGE – Study Abroad and Global Education programs may change in response to students' interests and feedback, faculty, and administrative evaluations as well as changing world events. Study abroad is not without risks and students are advised to carefully choose their study site.
The Scripps Committee on Study Abroad (COSA) has approved the following programs in Jordan for our students.
Instruction consists of lectures, fieldwork, and independent study; courses are taught primarily in English. Arabic language study required. Students earn four Scripps courses. On-site orientation and educational fieldtrips included.
- Reviewed by: Faculty: Andrew Aisenberg
- Fields of study: Political studies, Arabic language, independent research.
- Eligibility: 7.5 cumulative GPA; 8.0-8.9 GPA requires a petition; one year of college level study in Arabic language, area studies course
- Number of program participants: 15-25
This program includes two different homestays. Students live for most of the semester with a host family in Amman and have a five day stay in the rural area of Badia with a Bedoin family.
- Fall: Early September to mid December
- Spring: Late January to mid June
- Advising Tips: If SIT location is not on the approved list, an interview with a returnee is required.
- Visa Information: All students must have a passport valid for at least six months after the program’s end date to study in another country. Students should apply for a passport as early as possible; in some cases, passport applications may need to be expedited. Students may need one or more visas, in addition to a valid passport. Visa application processes vary widely, and some visa processes are multi-step and complicated. SIT Study Abroad helps students to understand the visa process for each program. The SIT admissions counselor can answer passport and visa-related questions and concerns. Non-US citizens should consult with SIT early to determine the visa requirements based on their country of origin. SIT Study Abroad cannot guarantee visas for its participants, and it is ultimately the student’s responsibility to secure the appropriate visa in a timely manner.
- Budget Planning: For budget planning purposes, click here to view the current cost of living comparison between the USA and Jordan.