IES - Language and Area Studies Program
Instruction consists of lectures, seminars and tutorials; courses taught in German. Internships arranged. On-site orientation and fieldtrips included.
- Fields of study: Humanities and social sciences courses taught in German at the IES center. Spring Only: Internships and university courses in science and social sciences at Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg or studio arts at Hochschule für Kunst, Design und Populäre Musik.
- Eligibility: 9.0 cumulative GPA; 4 semesters of college-level German. A German language course is required as one of your courses in Freiburg.
- Number of program participants: Students participate from other US liberal arts colleges and universities. Group size is approximately 50-80..
Students live in apartments and private homes. Students prepare their own meals.
- Fall: Late August to mid-December
- Spring: Late February to late June for IES courses. Internships and university courses end in late July/early August.
- Advising Tips: Note: Programs in Freiburg with instruction in English require a petition.
- Visa Information: After acceptance, your program will provide you with specifics about the visa required. The embassy site will have information on visa requirements for planning purposes.
- Budget Planning: For budget planning purposes, click here to view the current cost of living comparison between Freiburg and Los Angeles.