The Scripps College list of approved SAGE – Study Abroad and Global Education programs may change in response to students' interests and feedback, faculty, and administrative evaluations as well as changing world events. Study abroad is not without risks and students are advised to carefully choose their study site.
The Scripps Committee on Study Abroad (COSA) has approved the following programs in China for our students.
- Reviewed by: Professor Thierry Boucquey
- Fields of study: Chinese language
- Eligibility: Students must complete CHIN 1B (or the equivalent) prior to participation. This is an intensive language program and is appropriate for those students who are serious about improving their proficiency. Student who have completed their foreign language requirement in another language and who are highly motivated to learn a third language may petition for a waiver of the Scripps language pre-requisite.
Students live with Chinese roommates in a dormitory arrangement and prepare their own meals in a shared kitchen with a meal allowance recommended by the program and provided by Scripps.
- Fall: Late August to mid December
- Spring: Mid February to mid June
Instruction consists of lectures and seminars, and internships; courses are taught primarily in English. On-site orientation and fieldtrips included.
- Fields of study: Chinese language and culture, international relations
- Eligibility: 7.5 cumulative GPA; one year of college-level Mandarin
- Number of program participants: 75
Students live in international student dormitories and private homes. Students prepare their own meals or share meals with the family.
- Fall: early September to mid-December
- Spring: late January to mid-June
- Advising Tips: The application will require a language evaluation from your most recent Chinese language instructor. No other faculty reference is required.
- Visa Information: After acceptance, your program will provide you with specifics about the visa required. The embassy site will have information on visa requirements for planning purposes.
- Budget Planning: For budget planning purposes, click here to view the current cost of living comparison between Shanghai and Los Angeles.