CIEE: Service Learning Program
Students take the following required courses: Poverty and Development, Community Partnership, Social Research Methods, Independent Study/Capstone Project and choose either Afrikaans or IsiXhosa language class
- Fields of study: Development studies, Afrikaans or IsiXhosa language, range of options as an independent study project
- Eligibility: GPA of 7.5 or higher, experience as a volunteer or in independent research
Housing is in shared houses with other program participants, near the University of Cape Town. Students prepare their own meals with a stipend provided by Scripps.
- Fall: Early July to mid November
- Spring: Mid January to early June
- Advising Tips: There is no faculty reference or language evaluation required.
- Visa Information: After acceptance, your program will provide you with specifics about the visa required. The embassy site will have information on visa requirements for planning purposes.
- Budget Planning: Cost of living is reasonable in South Africa and a student budget is sufficient for taking advantage of many opportunities.For budget planning purposes, click here to view the current cost of living comparison between Los Angeles and Cape Town.
|Previous: Cape Town|