The Scripps College list of approved SAGE – Study Abroad and Global Education programs may change in response to students' interests and feedback, faculty, and administrative evaluations as well as changing world events. Study abroad is not without risks and students are advised to carefully choose their study site.
The Scripps Committee on Study Abroad (COSA) has approved the following programs in Brazil for our students.
Students complete a required pre-program of intensive Portuguese language study. The regular program courses include contintued study of Portuguese language, classes taught for CIEE program participants, and regular university courses taught in Portuguese.
- Reviewed by: Professor Rita Cano Alcala
- Fields of study: Intensive Portuguese language, history, philosophy, visual arts, music, literature, economics
- Eligibility: 7.5 cumulative GPA required by Scripps, 8.25 - 8.9 GPA requires a petition to COSA; completion of Spanish 44 with a B average or two semesters of college level Portuguese
During orientation, students are housed together in a hotel. For the remainder of the program, students are placed in Bahian homestays and take meals with their hosts.
- Fall: Late June to mid December
- Spring: Early January to late June
- Advising Tips: This program requires a language evaluation completed by the most recent professor.
- Visa Information: After acceptance, your program will provide you with specifics about the visa required. The embassy site will have information on visa requirements for planning purposes.
- Budget Planning: For budget planning purposes, click here to view the current cost of living comparison between Brazil and the United States.