Advancing Administrative Excellence
Posted: September 9, 2014
Dear Scripps College Community,
I hope you had an enjoyable and relaxing summer. Over the past six months, I’ve gathered valuable input from staff, faculty, students, and college administration/leaders, about the highest priority needs and expectations for the departments within the Business Affairs and Treasurer’s division, which spans many areas of the College. Informed by your feedback and suggestions, I have spent much of my time this summer with my staff to better understand existing operations and policies.
My vision for the areas under my direction is a seamless administration that supports the Scripps community through understanding, meaningful relationships, and clear communication. I am committed to advancing administrative excellence, and my team and I are dedicated to the goal of providing outstanding service to the Scripps community. This is our key theme for the upcoming academic year, and we want you to know that we welcome your ongoing input about how we can help you advance your department’s mission.
Over the next several months, you will see several initiatives take shape. Details of these initiatives will be forthcoming, but here is a preview:
- A facilities work order system: We will be implementing a system to receive and assign routine daily maintenance and custodial services. In conjunction with this system, we will set service level standards establishing guidelines for the processing and completion of requests.
- Team approach to custodial services: With this approach, two staff members will work together on a group of buildings. This team system will allow campus community members to get to know more than one custodial staff member and will provide coverage in the event of absences.
- Elevated onboarding procedure: Working with senior administration, the HR staff will develop a series of materials and activities designed to provide a smooth and helpful process for welcoming new employees.
- A training program for new supervisors: Through this program, we will focus attention and resources on building and enhancing supervisory and management skills.
- A technology training tool: This will provide access to training videos on various computer applications.
- Service expectations and policies across the division: We will clearly document and communicate the expectations and procedures, so that a resource is available for any service questions.
As we implement our initiatives, I welcome your ideas, comments and questions. Thank you in advance for your assistance and cooperation.
Vice President for Business Affairs/Treasurer
|Previous: Building a campus-wide culture of inclusion||Next: CMS Athletics Week in Review: August 29-September 7|